A Transient Introduction
The historic art of the Chinese tea ceremony is acknowledged to be a ceremony of the maximum esteem that a host can give a visitor. Although the Chinese tea ceremony is remarkably more simple in comparison to the Japanese version, (the Japanese model tends to be far more rigid and pays a ton of notice on the structure of the environment while the Chinese tea ceremony pays far more notice on attaining the great brew) there are set ways to be adopted as very well.
Although there are lots of versions of the Chinese tea ceremony, the one particular that is regarded the most refined among all is the Gongfu tea ceremony. It is believed to originate from possibly Guangdong or Fujian. This tea ceremony satisfies oolong teas very best and is once in a while employed for pu’er tea as properly. There are 6 elements to just take into thought when executing a tea ceremony:
The host really should be cheerful nevertheless calm to create a relaxing ambiance.
2. Tea Selection
In addition to owning a great style, form and fragrance, it really should have an sophisticated background (i.e. name and story) as very well.
3. Drinking water variety
Tough and distilled water must never be utilised to boil tea. Distilled h2o offers the tea a “flat” taste while challenging water would make it flavor terrible. Optimally, clear and apparent spring water should really be made use of.
4. Tea ware selection
Genuine, lacquered tea ware appears to be gorgeous but the pots that delivers out the most effective in fermented teas are the Yixing teapots, which do not glaze, remaining porous even immediately after staying fired in the kiln. One pot ought to be applied to brew only one particular variety of tea, as the pot absorbs some tea and the flavour of the tea will be enhanced as time goes by.
The tea ceremony location should be clean and spacious enough to not sense cramped. Ideally, it ought to be quiet as well. Incense, songs or artworks are sometimes applied to boost the setting, even though it could not be needed due to the fact a tea ceremony can be done outdoors.
The host really should have a graceful way though accomplishing the tea ceremony which can be viewed through the hand movements and facial expressions.
This timeless ceremony blends the a few teachings that have shaped China. The Buddhism’s Middle Way, the Confucian Golden Mean and the Taoism’s Way of the Tao. It calls for a single to have a tranquil demeanour, very good ethics in features these kinds of as tea serving and respectful interaction among one particular one more. A tea ceremony fosters good relations among just one an additional as nicely as bringing a sense of serenity by reminding mankind of their connection with nature.
Process of a common Gongfu Tea Ceremony
- Wen Xiang Bei – Slender snifter cup utilised to respect the tea’s scent. Tea is not drunk from these cups.
- Pin Ming Bei – Chinese teacups.
- Cha Tuo- A tiny saucer for the teacup (in some cases smaller than what is pictured staying just more than enough to keep the teacup)
- Zi sha hu – A teapot designed from the famed Yixing purple clay, known for its flavour absorbent properties.
- Cha pan – A water catching tray for the tea ceremony. A basin can be utilized as well.
- Gong dao bei – Tea from the teapot will be poured into this pitcher before serving to assure an even flavor.
- Cha dao zu – A set of utensils for measuring out tea leaves such as tongs to decide up sizzling products.
- Cha he – A shallow dish that is employed for appreciating the scent and visual appearance of tea.
Under are the methods in a normal Gongfu tea ceremony. Each step has a classic 4 character identify.
*Acquire notice that the teapot’s spout should not be pointing at anybody at all periods as this is thought of impolite.
1. Wen hu tang bei – “warm the pot and heat the cups”
Boiling h2o is poured into the teapot and then poured into the teacups. This is to assure that the utensils are warmed and prepped for the tea savouring procedure, which improves the tea’s fragrance.
2. Jian shang jia ming – “Enjoy fantastic tea”
The tea is put in the Cha He and passed all-around guests for it to be appreciated. The guests should enhance the look and fragrance of the tea.
3. Wu Very long Ru Gong – “The black dragon enters the palace”
The “black dragon” refers to the colour of Oolong tea, which is ordinarily a darkish burnt brown with subtle hues of other colours relying on the type of tea. The sum of tea wanted depends on several factors these types of as form of tea and the dimensions of the teapot but the volume of tea leaves made use of usually fills ½ to 2/3 of the pot. Place the leaves in the tea strainer if your pot does not have an inbuilt strainer.
4. Xuan Hu Gao Chong – “rinsing from an elevated pot”
Drinking water heated in a kettle to the suited brewing temperature for the tea is poured at about the top of the pourer’s shoulder to a slight overflow in the teapot to rinse the tea leaves.
The Chinese determine the proper brewing temperature is established by the measurement of the bubbles shaped even though boiling. They use creatures’ eyes as a manual bubbles the dimension of fish eyes for black tea, crab eyes for oolong and prawn eyes for eco-friendly tea. (Even though green tea is not used in a Gongfu tea ceremony)
5. Chun Feng Fu Mian – “The spring wind brushes the surface area”
Any froth or floating tea leaves are carefully brushed absent with the tea pot’s protect. This can help build a obvious tea.
6. Chong Xi Xian Yan – “Bathing the immortal 2 times”
To be certain the temperature on the outside and inside of the pot stays the very same, hot water is poured onto the included teapot.This also aids to get rid of the clay in addition to developing a seal that guarantees all the tea flavour remains in the pot. At this place, some will steep the tea for a quick whilst (about 10-30 seconds) or pour out the tea promptly to the tea pitcher.
7. Hang Yun Liu Shui – “A row of clouds, running water”
This means that the initial brew is not meant to be drunk. The tea is poured from the pitcher into the teacups.
8. Extended Feng Cheng Xiang – “the dragon and phoenix in auspicious union”
The tea cups are put upside down on prime of the snifters and presented to the friends, a image of prosperity and happiness the host needs upon the company.
9. Li Yu Admirer Shen – ‘the carp turns over’
The guest accepts each the cups and turns them 180°.
10. Jing Feng Xiang Ming – “Worship the fragrance”
The snifter is lifted from the tea cup. This tea is then emptied into a bowl or into the tea tray.
11.Hui xuan di zhen / Zai zhu qing xuan – “pouring all over again from a low height” / ‘direct all over again the pure spring’
Incredibly hot drinking water is poured at a reduce top from step 4, typically at a a bit greater top than the rim of the teapot. It follows a principle termed Gao Chong Di Zhen – “higher to rinse, low to pour”. Beforehand, pouring from a top produces a drive to cleanse the leaves but h2o is now poured from a lower top so that the flavour can be introduced little by little.
12. Gua Mo Lin Gai
The leaves are steeped at this place. Based on the form of tea and preference of the tea ceremony grasp, it normally takes anywhere concerning 30 seconds to 10 minutes.
13.Guan Gong Xun Cheng – “Guan Gong patrols the town”
The teacups are organized in a row and poured into the tea snifters. This is carried out when shifting the hand left and right gracefully. Guan Gong is a renowned military common in the Three Kingdoms time period. This move is akin to him marching up and down to guard the metropolis.
14. Han Xin Dian Bing- “Han Xin phone calls the soldiers”
The previous drops are poured in an stylish movement. This move is likened to Han Xin, a popular Han normal commanding his soldiers to battle.
15. Ou Bei Mu Lin- “bathing the snifter cup”
The entire contents of the teapot is poured into the tea pitcher and poured into the snifters. A teacup is positioned upside down on leading like move 7.
16. You Shan Wan Shui – “wander in the mountains and perform in the river”
Any remaining h2o in the teapot is emptied into the basin or tea tray.
17. Extensive Feng Cheng Xiang- “The dragon and phoenix in auspicious union”
One more prayer for the guests’ contentment and health is offered with the featuring of the snifter cup with an inverted teacup on top rated of it. This is the exact as stage 8.
18. Li Yu Enthusiast Shen – “the carp turns more than”
The guest accepts both the cups and turns those 180°.
19. Jing Feng Xiang Ming – “respectfully obtain the fragrant tea”
At this place, the visitor will elevate up the snifter cup and let the tea move into the teacup. The lingering aroma of the tea in the snifter is to be smelt and savoured by the visitor ahead of consuming the tea.
20. This action entails the etiquette to consume the tea. The teacup is either picked up with the finger pads of equally palms or with the thumb and index finger working with the middle finger to help the teacup. The latter approach is made use of as perfectly when a cha tuo is associated. The tea need to be drunk in 3 sips the 1st sip is for taste allowing it settle on your tongue and to value the complexity of the tea flavour, reminiscent of a wine tasting procedure the next sip, is a larger sip, also acknowledged as the main sip and the closing sip is to empty the cup and to take in the aftertaste.
21. The same tea leaves can be brewed for a couple situations until finally they no lengthier generate the very same flavour. With each and every subsequent brew, the tea should really be left to steep for a more time time. The leaves will be taken out of the teapot with tongs and set into a basin to be demonstrated to the company. The company ought to enhance the tea’s top quality. With this, the tea ceremony is carried out.